1872 Instructions to the Teachers
1) Teachers will fill lamps, clean chimneys and trim wicks each day.
2) Each teacher will bring a scuttle of coal and a bucket of water for the day's use.
3) Make your pens carefully. You may whittle nibs for the individual tastes of children.
4) Men teachers may take one evening each week for courting purposes or two evenings a week if they go to church regularly.
5) After ten hours in the school the teacher should spend the remaining time reading the Bible and other good books.
6) Women teachers who marry or engage in other unseemly conduct will be dismissed.
7) Every teacher who smokes, uses liquor in any form, frequents pool or public halls, or gets shaved in a barber shop will give good reason to suspect his worth, intentions, integrity and honesty.
8) The teacher who performs his labors faithfully without fault for five years will be given in increase of 25 cents a week in his pay - providing the Board of Education approves.
Mason Street School, San Diego County Historical Days Association, San Diego, Ca